More From Southern Living
Chill: 10 Minutes
Bake: 10 Minutes
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar*
- 1/8 teaspoon red or green food coloring gel*
- Chopped candied cherries (optional)
- Beat shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually add to shortening mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and food coloring gel in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal; shake and squeeze bag to evenly distribute color. (Too much gel will make sugar wet.)
- Press dough into desired shapes using a cookie press. Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar, or top with candied cherries, if desired. Place cookies on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- *Red or green decorator sugar crystals may be substituted for sugar and food coloring gel.
For this recipe, sift the flour after measuring it.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note