Spritsar (Spritz or Wreath Cookies)
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: You can store Swedish spritz cookies airtight for up to 3 days.
Yield: Makes about 32 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 111
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 59mg
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- About 1/2 cup green candied (glacé) cherries (optional)
- About 1/4 cup red candied (glacé) cherries (optional)
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until well blended. Stir or beat in flour.
- 2. Scrape dough, a portion at a time, into a cookie press fitted with a rosette or star-shaped plate. Press dough through plate onto buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets (you'll need three total) into 2-inch rings, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. If desired, decorate seams where ends meet: Cut each green cherry lengthwise into eight wedges and each red cherry lengthwise into four wedges; cut wedges in half crosswise. Arrange on wreaths to simulate holly sprigs. Or, for simpler cookies, choose any shape extrusion plate and press dough through it into solid mounds about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- 3. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until golden brown, about 6 to 18 minutes; switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This