This was a really good veggie pasta, nice sauce. It was a bit peppery, which is fine for me, but the kids thought it was a bit much.
Spring Vegetable Penne with Lemon-Cream Sauce
If you can find them, use shelled fresh English peas instead of frozen.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 363
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 15.5g
- Carbohydrate: 57.6g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 507mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 (4-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked penne
- 1 pound (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add thyme and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Sprinkle mushroom mixture evenly with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and half-and-half; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add peas, 2 tablespoons cheese, rind, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); cook 1 minute or until peas are thoroughly heated.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add asparagus to pan; drain. Add pasta mixture to mushroom mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This