YUM! I used feta and romano, the boys loved it.
Spring Vegetable Macaroni 'n' Cheese
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 655
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 66g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 1353mg
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- 1 bunch (about 12 oz.) asparagus
- 2 leeks
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces dried orecchiette pasta
- 3/4 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 6 ounces fresh chèvre (goat cheese)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded romano cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Snap tough ends off asparagus; cut spears into 1/2-inch pieces. Cut root ends and tough green tops from leeks; cut leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well under running water, then thinly slice crosswise.
- 2. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, stir the asparagus with the leeks, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the asparagus is just tender, about 7 minutes, then remove from pan and set aside.
- 3. In a large pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions; stir in peas at the end. Drain and return to pan.
- 4. Meanwhile, tear bread into chunks and put in a food processor with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Whirl until crumbs form.
- 5. In the medium pan over medium-high heat, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the flour and thyme; stir until smooth and bubbling, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in milk and stir until boiling and thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add lemon peel, mustard, pepper, and remaining teaspoon salt. Remove from heat and add goat cheese and 1 cup romano; stir until smooth.
- 6. Pour sauce over drained pasta and peas. Add asparagus mixture and stir well. Scrape mixture into a 2 1/2-quart baking dish and spread level. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup romano and the bread crumbs. Bake until sauce is bubbling and bread crumbs are browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes