i thought this was delicious! i knew to expect more of a crumble and everyone loved it.
Spring Strawberry Pie
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Mary Catherine Muir
The classic strawberry pie is updated with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge and 1 tablespoon whipped topping)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 229
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 176mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups small strawberries
- 3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, tossing with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, combine strawberry slices and vinegar in a medium nonstick skillet. Place the berry mixture over medium-high heat; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar. Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Cool completely. Arrange whole strawberries, stem sides down, in crust. Pour cooled strawberry mixture over whole strawberries. Cover loosely, and chill 4 hours.
- To prepare the topping, combine 3 tablespoons cracker crumbs, nuts, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter in a small bowl. Place crumb mixture in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown; cool. Sprinkle crumb mixture over pie. Top each serving with whipped topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts