Fava beans must be shelled twice. First they're removed from their pods, then blanched, cooled slightly, and pinched to remove the outer skins. Fresh beans taste the best, but canned fava beans will also work when fresh are out of season. Look for sun-dried tomato paste with the other tomato products in the supermarket.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 238
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Carbohydrate: 29.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 648mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 6 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 cup dried morels
- 2 pounds unshelled fava beans
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) finely grated fresh Romano cheese
- Combine 3 cups of boiling water and morels in a bowl; cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms; rinse with cold water. Drain and chop.
- Remove beans from pods; discard pods. Place beans in a medium saucepan with remaining 3 cups boiling water; cook beans 1 minute. Rinse with cold water. Drain; remove outer skins from beans. Discard skins.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep broth warm over low heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until leek is tender. Add rice and tomato paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, salt, and pepper; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook about 2 1/2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in morels and beans; cook for 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Stir in green onions. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note