I change items around.WIll make this a corned beef and cooked c b vegetable soup with chic.stock thickened up a little.
Spring Chicken Soup
Photo: Marcus Nilsson
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Other: 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 138mg
- Sodium: 914mg
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 45g
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 ribs celery, halved crosswise
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 beefsteak tomato, diced
- 1 turnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the carrots, celery, onion, and salt. Add enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes, skimming off any foam that appears. Add additional water as necessary to keep the chicken covered. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Remove and discard the carrots, celery, and onion. Add the green beans, asparagus, tomato, and turnip to the broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Add the meat and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. Ladle into individual bowls.
Tip: For a quicker version of this soup, simmer the vegetables in 8 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken broth until tender, about 5 minutes. Shred the meat from 1 rotisserie chicken and stir it in during the last minute of cooking. Taste the soup for seasoning before adding more salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews