I liked it very much. As a mayonnaise non-enthusiast, I think I would subtract 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise from the dressing. I also added some radishes I had lying around. And it made vast quantities! Half would be about right for our family, but I am pleased to have leftovers for lunch.
Spring Bounty Potato Salad
Meet your new picnic staple: a potato salad classic enough to satisfy purists, but with onions, peas, and tarragon for fresh flavor and pretty hits of green.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 257
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 231mg
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- 2 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 spring onions* or green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 hard-cooked large eggs*, peeled and roughly chopped
- About 3 tbsp. chopped tarragon
- 1. Bring 1 in. water to a boil in a large saucepan. Set potatoes in a steamer basket and steam in pan, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Cool in ice water, then pat dry. Cut potatoes into chunks and put in a large bowl.
- 2. Meanwhile, bring some water to a boil in a saucepan. Add peas; cook until tender, 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to ice water, then drain again.
- 3. Whisk together vinegar, mayonnaise, and salt in a small bowl to combine. Add onions, peas, and half the dressing to potatoes and gently stir to coat. Add eggs and 3 tbsp. tarragon and gently stir to coat.
- 4. Spread remaining dressing on bottom of a wide bowl, add salad, and sprinkle with more tarragon if you like.
- *Look for spring onions (regular onions picked young) at farmers' markets in spring and at Latino markets year-round. They have a fatter bulb than green onions--which have less crunch but make a good substitute. For perfect hard-cooked eggs, cover them in cold water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 12 minutes. Plunge cooked eggs into ice water, crack all over, and let sit in the water for a few minutes before peeling.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note