Added the asparagus after I ran out of liquid only to find that the rice wasn't fully cooked. Had to add more water and chicken broth and that extra time allowed my asparagus to cook perfectly. Other than that this is a great recipe, I will definitely be making this again.
Spring Asparagus Risotto
Clif Holt, chef-owner of Little Savannah in Birmingham, Alabama, prepares this classic risotto for harvest dinners at Jones Valley Urban Farm. For a vegetarian entrée, use vegetable broth.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups risotto and 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 283
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 634mg
- Calcium: 144mg
- 4 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 1/2 pounds), divided
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Place 1 cup asparagus and 1 cup broth in a blender; puree until smooth. Combine puree, remaining 2 cups broth, and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- 2. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining puree mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in remaining 3 cups asparagus; cook 2 minutes.
- 3. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, cream, salt, and pepper. Transfer risotto to a bowl. Serve with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes