Spoonbread With Simple Chorizo
More From Southern Living
Stand: 20 Minutes
Bake: 30 Minutes
- Simple Chorizo
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 cups milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Cook Simple Chorizo in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Set aside.
- Place cornmeal in a large bowl.
- Heat milk and garlic in a heavy-duty saucepan over medium-high heat (do not boil). Pour hot milk mixture over cornmeal, stirring until smooth. Add butter and salt, stirring until well blended; let stand 20 minutes.
- Lightly beat egg yolks. Add yolks, baking powder, cheese, and Simple Chorizo to cornmeal mixture, stirring until blended.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites gently into cornmeal mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This