- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Savory Mushroom Sauce
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
How to Make It
Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, stir in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in butter and next 3 ingredients.
Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients; stir into grits mixture. Pour into a slightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into triangles, and serve with Savory Mushroom Sauce; garnish, if desired.