- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup stone-ground white cornmeal
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- Heat first 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat. (Mixture will curdle.)
- Combine cornmeal and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Pour milk mixture over cornmeal mixture, whisking until smooth. Let stand 30 minutes or until lukewarm. Stir in baking powder and baking soda.
- Beat egg yolks lightly, and stir into cornmeal mixture. Fold in chives.
- Beat egg whites, sugar, and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into a buttered 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until top is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve spoonbread immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables