This a good, solid recipe, but I had to make several tweaks because I didn't have the ingredients and did not find them at my local store. I made almond flour like the previous reviewer suggested, used corn starch for potato starch, and cake flour for matzo flour, In addition, I made an orange grapefruit curd since I had a grapefruit on hand. It was very tasty, but I could also see soaking the cake with rum and making this a good variation on a rum cake.
Sponge Cake with Orange Curd and Strawberries
Photo: Nina Choi; Styling: Lisa Lee
Dairy- and flour-free, this cake is a winner year-round. Matzo cake meal—finely ground matzo—stands in for wheat flour.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 55 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 165mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 65mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 8 large egg yolks
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup matzo cake meal
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- Cooking spray
- Orange Curd:
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 3 large eggs
- 1 pound strawberries, halved
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. To prepare cake, place the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Place 8 egg whites in a separate large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form, using clean, dry beaters. Gently fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- 3. Sift together almond flour, cake meal, and 1/4 cup potato starch; gently fold into egg mixture.
- 4. Coat 2 (8 x 2-inch) round metal cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pans on a wire rack; cool cake completely in inverted pans.
- 5. To prepare curd, place orange rind, orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon potato starch, and 3 eggs in a small saucepan; stir with a whisk until smooth. Place pan over medium-low heat; cook for 6 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Spoon curd into a bowl, and place plastic wrap on surface of curd. Chill.
- 6. Loosen cakes from sides of pans using a narrow metal spatula. Place 1 cake layer, upside down, on a plate. Remove and discard wax paper. Spread half of curd over cake, and arrange half of strawberries over curd. Top with the remaining cake layer, upside down. Spread the remaining curd over cake. Arrange remaining strawberry halves over curd.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sponge Cake with Orange Curd and Strawberries Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings