Yield: 2 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 58
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 6.5g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 112mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup yellow split peas
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan, and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until the peas are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally (the pea mixture will have the consistency of very thick split pea soup). Cool slightly.
- Place the pea mixture in a food processor or blender. Add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, and salt; process until smooth.
- Place the pea puree in a shallow dish. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the pea puree, and sprinkle with chopped onion and dill.
- Note: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Split-Pea Spread Recipe at a Glance