Absolutely delicious!! I made just a couple of modifications. I added a tablespoon of thyme and a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch to give it some body (I like my soups on the thicker side). However, feel free to ignore these suggestions. It will be delicious either way!
Split Pea, Beef, and Barley Soup
Two soups combine to bring the heartiness of split pea and the rich, nutty flavor of beef and barley to this recipe. The dish is based on a recipe from Lainey Feingold.
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 155
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 401mg
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces
- 5 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups green split peas (one 16-oz. package)
- 3/4 cup dried baby lima beans
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-in. pieces
- 1. Heat oil in a 9- to 10-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper, then brown on all sides in two batches. Set aside.
- 2. Add onions, leek, parsnips, celery, and remaining 3 1/2 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Return beef to pot and add split peas, lima beans, and 4 qts. water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add barley and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in carrots and cook 20 minutes more. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note