I have been making this spinach recipe for many years, it is always a big hit. I know it under the name Spinach Marco Polo.
Spinach with Lemon and Currants
Photo: James Carrier
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 84
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 3.8g
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 120mg
- Cholesterol: 7.8mg
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup minced lemon (including peel)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound (about 3 qt.) spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-grated or ground nutmeg
- 1. In a 14- to 15-inch wok or 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, stir butter, currants, lemon, and sugar until lemon is tinged with brown, about 3 minutes. Scrape into a bowl.
- 2. Add spinach leaves and nutmeg to wok. Stir often over high heat until spinach is wilted and browned bits in pan are released, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in currant mixture and salt to taste. Pour into a bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables