This is a delicious recipe! When I have leftovers from some good artisan bread, I slice it up and use my homemade tomato sauce from the freezer. I like this with just one layer of bread (cuts the carbs), and I replace some of the whole eggs with egg whites. Frozen spinach works fine. Then I add a little more Jarlsberg cheese. Yummy!
Spinach and Tomato Strata
Randy Mayor; Mary Catherine Muir
Use a dense, chewy bread for the best results in this recipe.
Yield: 9 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 15.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35.3g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 631mg
- Calcium: 304mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained and divided
- Cooking spray
- 16 (1-ounce) slices sturdy white bread, cut in half
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Jarlsberg cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts and liquid almost evaporates. Cool.
- Spread 1 can of tomatoes over the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of the bread slices over tomatoes; top with 1 can of tomatoes, spinach mixture, and remaining bread slices. Combine milk, salt, pepper, and eggs in a large bowl; stirring with a whisk. Pour over bread slices; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Uncover strata. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spinach and Tomato Strata Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch, Main Dishes
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Cheese, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Winter, Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light