- 4 large yellow squash
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, cooked and well drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon cold butter or margarine, cut up
How to Make It
Combine squash, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and water to cover in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Cool.
Cut squash in half lengthwise, and remove seeds. Drizzle cut sides of squash evenly with 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
Pour remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add onion; saute 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in cooked spinach, sour cream, red wine vinegar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon spinach mixture evenly into squash halves. Place squash in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining 6 tablespoons cheese, and dot with cold butter.
Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.