- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, cleaned
- 1 quart chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Dash of red pepper
- Paprika (optional)
How to Make It
Sauté onion in butter in a large Dutch oven until tender; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until mixture is browned. Stir in spinach; simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
Place spinach mixture and 1 cup chicken broth in container of an electric blender; process until smooth. Return spinach mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining chicken broth, whipping cream, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Heat thoroughly. (Do not boil. ) Serve warm in individual soup bowls; sprinkle with paprika, if desired.