- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
How to Make It
Cook spinach according to package directions; drain and press dry. Set aside.
Sauté onion in butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat until tender. Blend in flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper.
Beat egg yolks. Add one-fourth of hot white sauce to yolks, stirring well; return yolk mixture to white sauce. Add spinach and cheese; stir well.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff but not dry. Fold into spinach mixture. Spoon into a well-greased 2- quart casserole. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.