Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Phyllo Turnovers
These turnovers can be assembled and frozen until you are ready to bake them.
Yield: 4 dozen (serving size: 2 turnovers)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 77
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12.5g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 161mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced shiitake mushroom caps (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon yellow miso (soybean paste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
- 36 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (1 pound)
- Cooking spray
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- Place tofu in a large bowl. Add miso, juice, salt, and pepper; mash with a fork until combined. Add mushroom mixture to tofu mixture in bowl, and stir until combined.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 bag spinach to pan; cook until wilted (about 7 minutes), stirring frequently. Drain. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 bags spinach. Add spinach to the tofu mixture in bowl; stir until well combined. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place 3 phyllo sheets on a large cutting board or work surface (cover the remaining dough to keep from drying); lightly coat phyllo with cooking spray. Cut stack lengthwise into 4 (3 1/2-inch-wide) strips. Spoon about 1 rounded tablespoon spinach mixture onto one end of each strip. Fold one corner of the opposite end over mixture, forming a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to the end of strip. Place triangles, seam sides down, on a baking sheet. Lightly coat tops with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets and filling. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Phyllo Turnovers Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: Mediterranean
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Tofu/Soy, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Appetizers