Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing and Crispy Won Ton "Croutons"
Make the "croutons" ahead of time. They make a great snack, so make a double batch and serve some before dinner. Won ton wrappers are found in the refrigerated case of the supermarket, usually in the produce section or next to the tofu. Pomegranate molasses is in Middle Eastern markets, but you can substitute 2 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon lime juice.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 485mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces won ton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 cups torn spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 (11-ounce) cans mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare croutons, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Place won ton strips and vegetable oil in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and toss to coat. Open bag. Sprinkle with cumin mixture; seal and toss to coat. Place won ton strips in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until crisp; turn strips once. Cool.
- To prepare salad, combine juice, molasses, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine croutons, juice mixture, spinach, onion, and oranges; toss well to coat. Serve immediately.
- Note: To disperse the oil over the won ton wrappers, shake them vigorously in a bag. They tend to clump together, but be patient. They will eventually separate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Dressing and Crispy Won Ton "Croutons" Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine