A tasty salad with a lot of interesting toppings. Next time I'll add a bit of honey to the dressing because it was a bit too acidic with the pickled onions and grapefruit.
Spinach Salad with Citrus and Roasted Beets
Photo: John Kernick
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 12 small beets
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tangerines
- 1 large red grapefruit
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound (12 cups) curly leaf spinach, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Put the beets in a medium baking dish. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and rub to coat the beets. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the beets are tender. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and quarter them.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover the onion slices with the vinegar. Add a large pinch of salt and mix well. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the tangerines and grapefruit, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mustard with 3 tablespoons of the vinegar from the onion slices. Whisk in the 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the spinach in a large bowl. Drain the onion slices and add to the spinach along with the tangerine, grapefruit and beets. Drizzle the mustard dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note