Spinach and Ricotta Tart
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water (for egg wash)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach*
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Unfold 1 pastry sheet, pinching seams together if necessary, and place into 10-inch square tart pan, trimming if needed for fit. Brush with egg wash.
- 2. Cut 4 (1/2- x 10-inch) strips from remaining sheet, and lightly press across each side of egg-washed pastry to create borders; brush border with egg wash. Prick bottom sheet all over with fork. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over bottom; place tart on lower rack of oven. Bake at 350° for 5 to 8 minutes or until cheese forms a light crust. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- 3. Combine ricotta and next 5 ingredients. Spoon about two-thirds ricotta mixture into pastry shell, and spread evenly.
- 4. Sauté spinach in a large skillet over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often and cooking in batches if necessary; drain excess liquid. Add spinach evenly onto ricotta mixture in pastry shell, and dollop remaining ricotta mixture onto spinach. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, and bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes or until set.
- *You can substitute 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained, for the fresh spinach, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes