I have been making this recipe sine it came out in the 1990's - it's fabulous! Also great fi you have someone coming over with a Gluten allergy...I add a litte more feta and a half a cup of parm cheese on top(which naturally sways the calories, but we love this dish!
Spinach, Rice, and Feta Pie
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 198
- Calories from fat: 30
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 24.8g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 494mg
- Calcium: 237mg
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, and saute 3 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Bring mixture to a simmer, and cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat, and stir in the cooked rice, crumbled feta cheese, egg, egg whites, and spinach.
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over pie. Cover and chill.
- To serve, let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Bake pie at 400° for 35 minutes or until set. Broil 2 minutes or until pie is golden brown.
- Note: Besides the nutrients listed below, each serving provides 3,909 IUs vitamin A and 13mg vitamin C.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes