Spinach and Pumpkin Salad
Prep and Cook Time: about 25 minutes. Notes: We adapted this recipe from Cetrella Bistro and Café in Half Moon Bay, California, where executive chef Lewis Rossman adds shavings of raw pumpkin to spinach salad for his special October menu. Look for toasted pumpkin-seed oil at natural- and specialty-food stores.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 4.1g
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 126mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin-seed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 ounces pumpkin, such as Sugar Pie, or banana squash
- 6 quarts baby spinach leaves (1 lb.),rinsed and crisped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup salted, roasted shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1. In a large serving bowl, whisk together pomegranate juice, vinegar, and oil.
- 2. Peel pumpkin. With a vegetable peeler, cut raw pumpkin into paper-thin 1- by 3-inch strips; you'll need about 2 1/2 cups. Add pumpkin shavings to pomegranate vinaigrette and mix gently.
- 3. Add spinach and mix to coat; add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads