It's not a bad recipe, just not a great recipe. I would use very good cheese to get the most flavor. I'd also add some additional spices (not positive what though). Made it as is, messed up the kitchen quite a bit for just a side dish quality item.
Spinach and Parmesan Fallen Soufflé
Check your local farmers' market for the freshest spinach. Squeezing the cooked spinach removes excess moisture.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 92
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 8.5g
- Carbohydrate: 7.3g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 326mg
- Calcium: 193mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounce fresh spinach
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly coat an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and dust with breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Add spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Place spinach mixture on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels, and squeeze until barely moist. Place spinach mixture in a blender. Add milk and cornstarch; process until smooth. Add cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; pulse until well blended. Pour into a large bowl.
- Place egg whites and egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 5 minutes or until tripled in volume. Gently fold one-fourth of egg mixture into spinach mixture; gently fold in remaining egg mixture (mixture will seem slightly thin). Spoon spinach-egg mixture into prepared baking dish; smooth top with a spatula.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until set in the center. Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables