This is a wonderful salad. The mushrooms and eggs make it more filling than you may expect. And who doesn't love bacon.
Spinach, Mushroom, and Fennel Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 201
- Calories from fat: 75%
- Protein: 5.9g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 6.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 380mg
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- 3 qts. (7 to 8 oz.) lightly packed baby spinach
- 3 large eggs, hard-cooked and cut into wedges
- 5 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces good-quality thick-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head fennel (about 4 in. wide), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Combine spinach, eggs, and mushrooms in a large shallow serving bowl.
- 2. Cut bacon on the diagonal into strips about 1/4 in. thick and 1 1/2 in. long. Cook bacon with 1/3 cup water in a large frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until water disappears, 8 to 12 minutes. Add oils and cook until bacon is light golden but still supple, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- 3. Add fennel to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to more paper towels.
- 4. Stir shallot and thyme into fat in pan and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in vinegar to deglaze pan. Whisk in mustard, 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, and 2 tsp. water.
- 5. Add bacon and fennel to salad, scrape dressing on top, and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This