- 14 uncooked manicotti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package silken soft tofu, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (such as Classico)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 353
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 11.1 g
- satfat 5.1 g
- protein 20.8 g
- carbohydrate 41.4 g
- fiber 4.5 g
- cholesterol 28 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 594 mg
- calcium 439 mg
How to Make It
Cook manicotti according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in spinach; sauté 3 minutes.
Place spinach mixture, tofu, and next 7 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
Spoon about 1/4 cup ricotta mixture into each manicotti. Pour one-third of pasta sauce into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed manicotti in a single layer over sauce, and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Cover with foil; bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until browned.
Note: You'll have about 1 cup of filling left over. Feel free to fill extra shells, but make sure to buy an extra package of manicotti at the store--a standard package contains 14 shells.