Spinach Loaf with Mushroom Sauce
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, stemmed
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 to 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- Cook spinach and 1 cup water in a saucepan over high heat 4 minutes or until spinach wilts. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain well, pressing between paper towels. Chop spinach, and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add green onions, and saute 2 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, 1 cup half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in spinach, green onions, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Spoon mixture into a greased 9- x 5-inch loafpan. Place loafpan in a baking dish; fill baking dish with 2 inches hot water.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until set. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms, and saute 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour, wine, and remaining salt and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes; gradually add remaining half-and-half, stirring until mixture thickens. Serve over Spinach Loaf.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note