Fantastic method recipe - would work with many other fillings. I used Trader Joe's buttermilk biscuits (I can actually read all of the ingredients on the label!) and they turned out beautifully. I did add in some red pepper flakes for a bit of spice and some meatless smoked apple sausage that I crumbled & browned and added in with all the greens. I saved myself some time by pre-cooking the filling & the night before when I had more time, then assembled and baked the next night for dinner. Worked beautifully! Served with warm marinara sauce which made these almost like mini calzones. Wonderful!!
Spinach and Kale Turnovers
In addition to being tasty, kale is a good source of lutein, benefitting eye health, and vitamins A and C. Serve as a side dish with steak or roast chicken, or enjoy two spinach and kale turnovers as a meatless entrée. They are great made ahead and brown-bagged; reheat in a microwave or toaster oven.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 184
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Carbohydrate: 25.4g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 516mg
- Calcium: 110mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 cups chopped kale (about 1 small bunch)
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (11.3-ounce) can refrigerated dinner roll dough (such as Pillsbury)
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add kale and spinach; sauté 8 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in feta.
- Separate dough into 8 pieces. Roll each dough piece into a 5-inch circle. Spoon about 1/3 cup kale mixture on half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold dough over kale mixture until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge of dough over top edge; crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.
- Place turnovers on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat turnovers with cooking spray; sprinkle each turnover with about 1 teaspoon Parmesan. Bake at 375° for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving; serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note