- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (16-oz.) package mezze penne pasta
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnishes: fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, shaved Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°. Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels.
Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add shallots, and sauté 5 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk in flour until smooth; cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in half-and-half; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in ricotta and 1/2 cup Asiago cheese until smooth. Remove from heat.
Whisk eggs in a bowl until frothy. Fold in shallot mixture, spinach, parsley, and next 3 ingredients. Stir in cooked pasta.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup Asiago cheese on inside rim of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Pour pasta mixture into pan.
Bake at 325° for 55 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese.