Delicious quiche! It's my go to recipe. I've made it using the CL crust in the recipe, and also a store bought crust, both turned out just fine. I usually kick up the flavor a little by adding some chopped garlic and mushrooms to the veggie mixture. Both compliment the spinach and green onion really well. The smoked gouda adds a nice creaminess and flavor. Sometimes it takes longer then 35 minutes to cook, but it might be from my extra veggies. Definitely worth making again and again!
Spinach, Green Onion, and Smoked Gouda Quiche
More From Cooking Light
2 Hours, 36 Minutes
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 15.4g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 405mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated smoked Gouda cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1. To prepare crust, place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Combine milk, salt, and egg yolk in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour; beat just until combined. Press mixture into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill for 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Unwrap and place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Freeze 15 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- 4. To prepare filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes.
- 5. Combine 1 cup milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cut into 10 wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note