Spinach with Fried Shallots
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Stylist: Sara Slavin
You can, says Charles, substitute an equal amount of Swiss chard, kale, or young pea or fava shoots in place of the spinach.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 88
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 9.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sodium: 241mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Fried Shallots, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound baby spinach, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine* or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock or water
- 1. Heat a wok over high heat until very hot; the metal will have a matte appearance and a drop of water flicked onto its surface should evaporate on contact. Add oil and heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- 2. Add 1 tbsp. fried shallots and garlic, cook 10 seconds, then add spinach and rice wine and toss to combine. Add fish sauce and chicken stock and continue stir-frying, tossing ingredients together, until spinach wilts, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with rest of fried shallots.
- *Find nutty, slightly sweet Shaoxing rice wine at Asian markets and some liquor stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This