Family loved this! Delicious, creamy, flavorful. Used Penne pasta, and a blend of shaved Parma Reggiano, Asiago, and Romano. Also needed to add more liquid (chicken broth) as it did thicken. Mixed 1/2 the crumbled bacon into the pasta, the rest sprinkled on top of servings. Served with sautéed garlic green beans as an addition veggie on the side. This is a keeper, Cooking Light has come through for me again.
You can use Asiago cheese for a slightly sweeter flavor, or Parmigiano-Reggiano for a sharper flavor than the pecorino Romano.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 681mg
- Calcium: 188mg
- 1 pound uncooked fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 10 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add reserved pasta water and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk to combine; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add pecorino Romano, stirring until smooth. Add half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Stir in spinach. Combine cheese mixture and pasta in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Place about 1 cup pasta mixture in each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note