Spinach Dinner Salad with Sesame Tofu
- 14 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp. grapeseed or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup furikake* (Japanese sesame and seaweed blend) or untoasted black and white sesame seeds
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 tart green apple, such as Granny Smith
- 8 to 10 radishes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian chili garlic sauce*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 qts. loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- calories 379
- caloriesfromfat 58 %
- protein 11 g
- fat 25 g
- satfat 2.3 g
- carbohydrate 29 g
- fiber 5.1 g
- sodium 546 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Lay tofu between paper towels to dry. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
Spread cornstarch on a rimmed baking sheet and furikake on another. Stack tofu and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Lightly toss tofu in cornstarch, then quickly but thoroughly roll and press in furikake. Fry in 2 batches until well-browned and crunchy, about 20 minutes total, and drain on paper towels.
Slice celery, dice apple, and cut radishes into thin wedges. In a big salad bowl, whisk remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. oil with chili garlic sauce and vinegar. Add celery, apple, radishes, spinach, salt, and tofu and toss to coat.
*Find in grocery stores' Asian-foods aisle.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.