I love corn bread, but this was awful. It was wet, soggy, and tasted like corn held together with dough. Did not make the salsa.
Spinach Corn Bread With Mango Salsa
The sweetness of the mango and heat from the jalapeño allow this salsa to balance nicely with the corn bread. Serve with a salad and soup for a light meal.
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 corn bread wedge and about 1/4 cup salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 235
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 40.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 435mg
- Calcium: 148mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded and minced
- Cooking spray
- Mango Salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg whites; stir well with a whisk. Add corn, spinach, and jalapeño; stir well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 9 wedges. Serve with Mango Salsa.
- (Totals include Mango Salsa.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads