Looks longer than it actually takes! Easy to prepare with fresh or frozen ingredients. I used salsa for the sauce instead of all the dairy, and didn't need the second can of Rotel. I had no cottage cheese, so used ricotta. Corn tortillas worked fine.
Spinach Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado
- Combine 1 can tomatoes and green chiles, chicken, and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Drain remaining 1 can tomatoes and green chiles, and add liquid to saucepan. Set drained tomatoes and green chiles aside.
- Bring chicken mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and cook 10 to 15 minutes. Remove chicken, and strain cooking liquid, reserving 2 1/2 cups liquid and diced tomatoes and green chiles. Cool chicken slightly, and chop.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in reserved tomato liquid until blended. Add cream cheese, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Spread 1 cup sauce into bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Press spinach between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Stir together spinach, chicken, half of reserved diced tomatoes and green chiles, cottage cheese, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese blend. Spoon mixture down center of each flour tortilla; roll up. Place, seam side down, in dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, and bake 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with remaining tomatoes and green chiles. Sprinkle with toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This