Spinach-Cheese Balls with Pasta Sauce
- 1 (9 oz.) box Green Giant® frozen spinach
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
- 3/4 cup Progresso® Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 (25.5 oz.) jar Muir Glen® organic garden vegetable pasta sauce, heated
- 1. REMOVE frozen spinach from pouch; place in colander. Rinse with warm water until thawed; drain well. Squeeze spinach dry with paper towel.
2. MIX egg, both cheeses, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, sour cream, oil and ricotta cheese in large bowl until well blended. Add spinach to cheese mixture; mix well. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time, until well blended.
3. FILL a 10-inch skillet half full with oil; heat over medium heat until candy/deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F (or use deep fryer, add oil to fill line and heat to 350°F).
4. PLACE bread crumbs in small bowl. Shape spinach-cheese mixture into 1-1/2 inch balls (about 40), using about 1-1/2 tablespoons for each; roll in bread crumbs and place on cookie sheet.
5. FRY 6 balls at a time for 4 to 6 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown. With slotted spoon, remove balls from skillet; place on paper towels to drain. Cool 2 minutes before serving; serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spinach-Cheese Balls with Pasta Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes