Spinach And Barley-Stuffed Portobellos
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 mushroom and 1/2 cup spinach-barley mixture)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 209
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 24.4g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 461mg
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Calcium: 299mg
- 6 medium portobello mushroom caps (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup cooked quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove brown gills from the undersides of mushrooms, using a spoon; discard gills. Set aside.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until blended; set aside.
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add carrots and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. Add spinach; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Stir in flour mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until thick. Stir in cooked barley, 1/2 cup cheese, pepper, and nutmeg; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Coat reserved mushroom caps with cooking spray; place on a broiler pan. Broil 5 minutes or until tender. Fill each cap with about 1/2 cup spinach-barley mixture, pressing firm to pack. Broil 3 1/2 minutes.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 cup cheese; sprinkle evenly on top of each mushroom. Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note