- 1.5 ounces brown rice flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 1.4 ounces sweet white sorghum flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 1.4 ounces tapioca flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 1.3 ounces potato starch (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 9 center-cut bacon slices (4 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves (3 ounces)
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- calories 231
- fat 12.4 g
- satfat 6.1 g
- monofat 2.5 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 14 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 0.9 g
- cholesterol 142 mg
- iron 1.1 mg
- sodium 451 mg
- calcium 148 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flours and potato starch into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flours, potato starch, xanthan gum, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until blended. Add butter; process 30 seconds or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly add milk and 1 egg through food chute; process until dough forms a ball.
Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill 30 minutes. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on work surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Fold edges under; flute. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
To prepare filling, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Add spinach to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute or until spinach wilts.
Layer spinach, bacon, and cheeses in crust. Combine milk, pepper, 1/8 teaspoon salt, eggs, and egg whites in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour over layered ingredients in crust.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and eggs are set. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.