Looking for the perfect breakfast dish to serve to your family or overnight guests? Try this Spinach-and-Prosciutto Strata recipe. The prosciutto gives this egg dish so much flavor. Here's a tip - day-old or stale bread absorbs liquid best.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 39.5g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 816mg
- Calcium: 337mg
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf peasant bread, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups quartered cremini mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped prosciutto (about 3 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- Combine 2 cups milk and onions in a large bowl. Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add prosciutto and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons basil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, eggs, and egg whites in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Place half of bread mixture in an 11 x 7-inch dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon mushroom mixture over bread mixture, and sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with remaining bread mixture. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This