- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf peasant bread, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups quartered cremini mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped prosciutto (about 3 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- calories 328
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 10 g
- satfat 3.7 g
- monofat 3.9 g
- polyfat 1.4 g
- protein 20 g
- carbohydrate 39.5 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- cholesterol 130 mg
- iron 3.5 mg
- sodium 816 mg
- calcium 337 mg
How to Make It
Combine 2 cups milk and onions in a large bowl. Add bread, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Stir in spinach.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add prosciutto and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
Place 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons basil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, eggs, and egg whites in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
Place half of bread mixture in an 11 x 7-inch dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon mushroom mixture over bread mixture, and sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with remaining bread mixture. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until set.