This was a really nice and different way to prepare quick weeknight chicken. Putting it in the marinade the night before makes it so easy when it's time to cook, and very tender, juicy, and flavorful. I didn't have curry powder so I used the same amount of turmeric. Lined the broiler pan with tin foil for easy clean up and cooked the chicken for 7 minutes on each side. It will be great on the grill as soon as it's warm enough to cook outside. Instead of the couscous I served it with leftover rice pilaf and steamed broccoli. For wine, I tried Covey Run Gewertztraminer, which is normally too sweet for me but great with these spices. Would serve to casual company (maybe for a barbecue) and will definitely make again!
Spicy Yogurt-Marinated Chicken with Couscous
Since the chicken marinates overnight, all you need to do when you get home from work is preheat the broiler and start cooking the chicken. In the meantime, you can make the couscous.
Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and 1 cup couscous)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 490
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 53.9g
- Carbohydrate: 42.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 189mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 746mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion tops
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- To prepare chicken, combine the first 11 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag, discard marinade.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place the chicken thighs on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4 inches from heat for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 180°.
- To prepare the couscous, bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in the currants, onions, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes