- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can navy or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Garnishes: fresh rosemary sprigs and extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add onion. Reduce heat to medium, and sauté until tender. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more, stirring frequently so garlic doesn't brown. Remove skillet from heat, and cool to room temperature.
Scrape onion mixture into a blender or food processor. Add beans and remaining ingredients; puree until smooth. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve. Garnish, if desired.