- 1/2 cup dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (26-ounce) jar hot-and-spicy pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to Make It
Stir together dried tomatoes and 1/2 cup boiling water in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Drain, chop, and set aside.
Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
Sauté onions and next 5 ingredients in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
Stir in pasta sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; stir in basil and salt, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Serve over hot cooked pasta.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Newman's Own Fra Diavolo Sauce for hot-and-spicy pasta sauce.