We loved the ragout -- used up all our fresh veggies from the farmers' market. We used tubed polenta. Also, sprinkled feta over the ragout. Yum!
Spicy Vegetable Ragout Over Polenta
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup ragout and 1 polenta wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Carbohydrate: 42.4g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 602mg
- Calcium: 204mg
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups diced peeled eggplant
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add cornmeal, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cilantro. Pour into prepared cake pan. Press plastic wrap onto surface, and chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes. Add eggplant, squash, carrot, and jalapeño; sauté 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in chili powder, tomatoes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Invert the polenta onto a cutting board; cut into 4 wedges. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 5 minutes on 1 side until golden. Place on plates, and top with ragout.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy Vegetable Ragout Over Polenta Recipe at a Glance