although i liked this salad, very pretty too, the taste is not outstanding enough to want to repeat reducing one pint of carrot juice to make the dressing.
Spicy Sunflower Salad with Carrot Dressing
Time: 30 minutes. Using a mix of small-to-larger and delicate-to-crunchy greens makes this salad lively. The vibrant dressing contains only a teaspoon of oil.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 129
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 4.6g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 pt. fresh carrot juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (Asian chili sauce) or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 6 ounces sunflower sprouts (1 1/2 qts. lightly packed) or 5 oz. mixed baby lettuces (2 qts.)
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed pea shoots or micro greens
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed mild or spicy sprouts such as clover or radish
- 1/3 cup long, fine shreds of carrot, preferably shredded with a mandoline
- 1. Make dressing: In a wide, 3- to 4-qt. saucepan, boil carrot juice over medium-high heat, stirring often, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Whisk in remaining dressing ingredients.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Toast sunflower seeds in a shallow pan until light golden, shaking pan occasionally, 4 to 8 minutes. Let cool.
- 3. Trim off membrane and curved ends of bell pepper. Cut pepper lengthwise into very thin slices.
- 4. In a large bowl, use your hands to toss and separate all vegetables until evenly mixed. Pour seeds and dressing on top; mix gently. Season with salt to taste.
- Note: Raw sprouts can occasionally contain bacteria that cause foodborne illness, so children, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems should avoid eating them.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads