Spicy Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound unpeeled fresh shrimp
- 8 large green or yellow bell peppers
- 2 mirlitons, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound yellow squash, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tasso*
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel shrimp; devein. Set aside.
- Cut tops from bell peppers; discard seeds and membrane.
- Cook bell pepper shells in boiling water to cover in a saucepan over medium-high heat 6 minutes; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- Saute mirliton and next 6 ingredients in hot oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until tender; add shrimp and tasso, and saute 7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat. Stir in Creole seasoning and breadcrumbs; spoon into bell peppers. Sprinkle with cheese; replace pepper tops. Place in a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake peppers, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- * Country ham may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes