- 4 ounces fresh spicy sausage, such as Italian hot sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (10 oz.) package medium to large white mushrooms, stems removed and chopped, caps left whole
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped day-old bread (about 1 oz.)
- 4 ounces Italian Fontina or mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- calories 301
- fat 24 g
- satfat 12 g
- protein 14 g
- carbohydrate 8 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 70 mg
- sodium 477 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove sausage from casing and place in a medium skillet. Cook meat over medium heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally, until crumbly and browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer sausage to a bowl.
Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add mushroom stems, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add bread, cheese, parsley, oregano and reserved sausage. Stir well to mix.
Stuff sausage mixture firmly into mushroom caps. Place caps on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until tops are crusty and mushrooms are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.